Fort Lauderdale Illustrated
By Site Staff -March 31, 2022
Spring has sprung on Fort Lauderdale Beach! The LOOP (Las Olas Oceanside Park) will celebrate the season with a series of events for Easter, Earth Month, and even a Sunday presentation of Broadway at the Beach.
Sunday by the Shore
Sunday by the Shore is the new monthly community building event that encourages the public to spend the day at The LOOP to connect with their neighbors and make new friends. Beginning April, from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m., guests are invited to bring a picnic blanket and lawn chair, or borrow one from The LOOP, to enjoy a rotation of live music, interactive experiences, a picnic brunch setting, Shop & Stroll market, oceanside yoga, and a variety of lawn games including pickleball, checkers, tic-tac-toe, and more.
Oceanside yoga kicks off at 9:30 a.m. and features an hour-long yoga flow (register here). From 11 a.m. to noon, Broadway at the Beach with the Broward Center Spotlights performs songs from the current lineup of Broadway Across America shows scheduled at the Broward Center during the 2022 season.
Broward Center Spotlights is a vocal ensemble of 30 students in grades 6-12 at the Broward Center for the Performing Arts. Students are selected annually through an audition process, and gain top-tier instruction in song and dance, musicianship, improved vocal technique and song interpretation while building dance skills and stage presence.
The Broward Center Spotlights will be presenting Broadway on the Beach-featuring songs from its current touring season including Frozen, Cats, and Pretty Woman, as well as other Broadway tunes from the classics to today for the whole family to enjoy.
Second Annual Spring Fling EGGstravaganza
On April 16, from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m., the Second Annual Spring Fling EGGstravaganza will provide a groovy opportunity for families to enjoy a Hippie-D’ Hoppity day of activities and fun in the sun. Free to the public courtesy of the City of Fort Lauderdale’s Beach Improvement District, attendees are encouraged to wear their retro-inspired best and participate in the special activities and entertainment planned, which include:
- Eggs In a Basket Contest Guests will take their best guess at how many eggs are in The LOOP’s baskets. The person closest to guessing right will win prizes courtesy of the contest sponsor.
- Hippie-D Hoppity Selfie Station Dress up in your retro-inspired Easter finest and snap a selfie in the vintage 1970’s Good Times Roll Volkswagen Bus.
- Farmers Market Shop local vendors displaying an eclectic selection of food, art, clothing, jewelry, home goods, pet supplies, body care, and more.
- Little Yolks Morning Yoga From 9 to 10 a.m., Little ‘yolks’ ages 5-12 will enjoy a complimentary, introductory yoga class on the lawn with Lisa Pumper with the purchase of an adult ticket ($10). Bunny ears will be provided.
- Egg Hunt Bring an Easter basket and gather on the main lawn at 10:15 a.m. for The LOOP’s Egg Hunt countdown. The main lawn will be divided into three sections accommodating children younger than 5, children 6-9, and children 10-13. Come down early and explore the park and vendors for a pre-egg hunt, golden egg hunt. Find the golden egg hidden somewhere on the grounds and take home a gourmet Easter basket.
- Brunch with the Bunny Pre-purchase a “Brunch with the Bunny” package, or bring a blanket and basket, and enjoy brunch on the main lawn with the Easter bunny. Tickets are $50 for a family of four and include a reserved table, pre-packaged farmers market brunch box with fresh basked croissants, jam, Nutella, and savory spreads, mixed granola, fresh fruit, French macaroons for dessert, and choice of fresh juice or sparking water. Pre-purchase required.
- Children’s Arts & Crafts, 11 a.m. – 3 p.m. | In recognition of Earth Month, The LOOP’s children’s craft corner features make and take crafts that are good for the planet. Children under 13 will have their choice of coloring their own reusable tote bag, decorating a seed pot, or making a crystal bead suncatcher.
- Live Music and Entertainment:
- 10 a.m. to 4 p.m.: DJ David & the Hippie D’Hop Hares
- 11 a.m. to 2 p.m.: Spring fling stilt walkers and balloon artistry
- 11 a.m. to 3 p.m.: Complimentary “Little Bunny” quick draw caricatures
- 12 to 2 p.m. Sack races and freeze dance contests
For information, to register for Little Yolk’s Yoga or to purchase Brunch with the Bunny tickets, click here.
Fifth Annual SOS Ocean Conservation Day sponsored by Tortuga Music Festival
Now in its fifth year, SOS Ocean Conservation Day, sponsored by Tortuga Music Festival, returns to The LOOP on April 24. The free outdoor event combines fun and educational programs for the entire family to raise awareness for ocean conservation. The SOS mission and event theme this year is, “Lettuce Give Thanks.” All proceeds from the silent auction will benefit the sea turtle feedings at the Marine Environmental Education Center at the Carpenter House.
The festivities begin with a Morning Shoreline Cleanup, hosted by Free Our Seas & Beyond from 9 to 11 a.m. All participants will receive a raffle ticket for the chance to win general admission tickets to the 2023 Tortuga Music Festival. Within the SOS Ocean Conservation area, ocean and marine conservation groups and local businesses will engage attendees through a variety of activities to educate the community on how to become more eco-friendly and help save marine life and coral reefs.
This year’s event will be plastic free. Event goers are encouraged to bring their own ocean-friendly drink ware to help continue the ongoing mission to ban plastic in our community. Additionally, Lauderdale Marina will distribute free brown bags to help ban-plastic at the event.
For more information about the day’s activities or to register for the beach cleanup, click here.
The LOOP partners with EDSEA and Ocean Sole, Africa
As part of its Earth Month activation, and in partnership with Ocean Sole, Africa, the LOOP welcomes EDSEA to its weekend community markets in April. EDSEA sources local and global upcycled and recycled products with a focus on turning ocean trash into treasures. Proceeds from sales benefit ocean conservation efforts within the communities which they do business.
Through sales of Ocean Sole, Africa’s recycled flip flop art pieces, the goal is to bring awareness to the world-wide dangers of flip flop pollution and inspire those to be part of the solution to protect and save our oceans. The EDSEA booth, featuring Ocean Sole flip flop art will be displayed at The LOOP markets on the following dates:
- Friday Night Sound Waves on April 1, 8, 15, 22, and 29
- Las Olas Oceanside Park weekend Farmers Markets on April 2, 3, 9, 10, 16, 23, and 30
- Fifth Annual SOS Ocean Conservation Day on April 24