Ocean Conservation Day
In celebration of Earth Day, the 5th annual SOS Ocean Conservation Day, sponsored by Tortuga Music Festival, returns to the LOOP to raise awareness for our oceans.
Now in its 5th year, SOS Ocean Conservation Day, sponsored by Tortuga Music Festival, returns to Las Olas Oceanside Park on Sunday, April 24 from 10am – 4pm. The free, one day, outdoor event combines fun and educational programs for the entire family to bring awareness to our ocean.
The SOS Mission and event theme this year is, LETTUCE GIVE THANKS
100% of all profits from the silent auction will benefit the sea turtle feedings at the Marine Environmental Education Center at the Carpenter House – MEEC
“Many people are not aware of the ocean’s influence on us and our influence on the ocean and I wanted to do something that was inspiring for a younger generation because they’re the ones in line to inherit all these issues.” – founder of SOS Ocean Conservation Day, Lisa Miceli-Capano.
The day begins with a Morning Shoreline Cleanup hosted by Free Our Seas & Beyond from 9am-11am.
All participants will receive a raffle ticket for the chance to win GA tickets to attend the 2023 Tortuga Music Festival
Within the SOS Ocean Conservation area, Ocean and Marine Conservation Groups and Local Businesses will engage with attendees through a variety of activities to educate the community on how to become more eco-friendly and help save marine life and coral reefs. Confirmed activities to date include:
- Turtle Tattoos, sponsored by Sea Turtle Oversight Protection
- Shark Cage Photo Booth, presented by Sharks4Kids
- Live Lionfish Safety Demonstrations sponsored by Force-E Scuba hosted by local divers’ Charley Schram & Rosalie Opalka
- Cast & Reel in a (toy) Shark, presented by American Shark Conservation
- Test your knowledge on corals with Friends Of Our Florida Reefs
- Grab a seat with IGFA to help create a mosaic “Plastic Portrait”
- Stay tuned for a possible Pelican release on the beach with South Florida Wildlife Center
Other activities include:
- We Florida Financial Shred-A-Tree Plant-A-Tree event. Dispose of your unwanted documents & help us plant trees with One Tree Planted.
- Fort Lauderdale Police “Comet” Video Game Trailer
- Marine Unit & Fire Rescue CPR Demonstrations
- Photo-ops with Live Mermaids, Pirate Capt. Theo Jones, and Strolling Characters
- Puckerup to Kiss-A-Shark in the SOS Debris Art mural
- Live Jiu Jitsu Demonstrations by Fort Lauderdale Jiu Jitsu
- Interactive Areas – Arts & Crafts – Local Artists – Debris Sculptures – Pop-Up Art
- Free, Eco-Friendly, Biodegradable Giveaways
- Live Music, Food & Drink Vendors … and more
This years event will be plastic free. Event goers are encouraged to bring their own ocean-friendly drinkware to help continue the ongoing mission to ban plastic in our community. Additionally, Lauderdale Marina will distribute free brown bags to help ban-plastic at the event.
VENDOR & SPONSOR
For information on Food and Retail Vendor Opportunities, please complete the online application